For some reason, my various media feeds have been full of dream interpretation spam this last week. I'm sure you've seen the same thing, each with a title such as 'Ten Dreams and What They Mean,' or something similar.
I never bought into the one-size-fits-all concept when it comes to interpreting dreams. I don't think the landscape of any two brains matches closely enough to let someone say 'if you dream about X, then it means Y.'
That said, I do think writers have their very own subset of nightmares. In keeping with the internet tradition of making lists, here's my list:
Dreams Writers Have
1) The I'm Being Chased by That Unfinished 92-Page Novel Manuscript I Abandoned Years Ago Dream
2) The I'm Falling on the Amazon Sales Ranking Lists Dream
3) The I'm Naked at a Book Signing and People Actually Showed Up Dream
4) The I Just Submitted a Book Manuscript in Comic Sans Font Dream
5) The My Cover Art Was Done Entirely in Microsoft Paint Dream
6) The All My Reviews Compare My Book To 'Battlefield Earth' Dream
And, since we're talking about writers here, all the dreams listed can be interpreted thusly -- "I recently returned from the liquor store."
News From Behind Keyboard Ridge
I'm still chugging my way through Way Out West, the new Markhat book. I'm finally making good progress, after yet another deep delete and change of plot.
I think it's going to be a great book, so just bear with me! I'm lying as fast as I can....
In the meantime, why not give The Darker Carnival a try, if you haven't already?