Brown River Queen cover art

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Prepare for Re-entry

I'm going back to work tomorrow.

I'm still not running at 100%, but this will have to suffice.  When your dogs set your alarm clock and pack your lunch and make up little paw-printed 'Have a good day at work, to which you are returning, we're frankly sick of you, kthnxbye,' it's time to find a shirt with a collar and pretend to be a grown-up for a bit.

I wish I could say I did a lot of reading while I was sick, but that would be a lie.  Mainly what I did was cough up things that one normally only sees in low-budget horror films and watch TV.  TV doesn't demand much attention, and my Kindle wisely hid itself under a cushion during the worst of the coughing fits.

But I did read one really good book.

Nekropolis: A Matt Richter Novel by Tim Waggoneer is one of those books I picked up on a whim.  I'd never heard of Tim Waggoneer, or Matt Richter.  But the cover was emblazoned with three words I can seldom refuse -- zombie private eye.

So I snagged it, several weeks ago, and only pulled it up yesterday when I managed to catch my Kindle sneaking around on a bookcase.

People.  If you have any love at all for the hard-boiled or the macabre, then you owe it to yourself to give Nekropolis a chance.  This is first-rate stuff -- you've got your hard-case ex-cop, your mean streets, your damsel in distress.

But you've got all that in Nekropolis, which is unlike anywhere you've ever been taken by a book.

I'll admit it.  I'm jealous.  I kept kicking myself while reading, which requires no small coordination and is tough on the bedclothes.  Why didn't I think of that, I'd say?

There's a jukebox in a bar called Skullies that consists of three severed heads which sing.  In Nekropolis, you speak into your cell phone's ear and you listen to its mouth.

Matt Richter is a Cleveland cop who pursued a murderer native to Nekropolis through a portal to Earth.  Matt died in Nekropolis, but as with so many things over there, being dead takes a twist.

I won't give away any of the plot, because I hate it when people do that.  Suffice it to say Matt may be dead, but he's still very much a streetwise cop.  These aren't the same streets he knew in Cleveland, but crime is crime, and victims are victims, and Matt is determined to bring just a glimmer or law and order to a lawless, chaotic place.

I'm not doing Nekropolis justice.  It's only three bucks and change.  Get it yourself; you won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment